St. Martin's Church Rheinfelden
The Christian Catholic town church of St. Martin in Rheinfelden is also called the «treasury of the Fricktal». The Stadtkirche St. Martin is a Christian Catholic church in Rheinfelden. It is around 1000 years old and features various architectural styles. Nowhere else are more opulently decorated interiors preserved.
The town church of Rheinfelden is dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours.
However, it has no other close connection to the story of the coat that the young Roman soldier shared with a poor beggar, but other, no less edifying stories are linked to this place of worship. In December 1147, Bernard of Clairvaux, the crusade preacher, stopped twice in Rheinfelden on a journey and is said to have performed miraculous healings in the vestibule of St Martin's Church.
Lenten cloth or hunger cloth.
One of the many rarities is the Lenten cloth, which dates from the 17th century. It was rediscovered by chance during clean-up work at the end of the 1990s and has been hanging above the altar in the choir during Lent ever since.
About 1000 years old church.
The church probably dates from the early 11th century. This «treasure trove of the Fricktal» encompasses all art-historical epochs from Romanesque to Dixhuitième, with Baroque and Rococo elements dominating the interior. From 1228 to 1870 the church was a canons' monastery. Since 1873 it has been a Christian Catholic church.
Good to know
The hunger cloth hangs above the altar in the choir during Lent and is only open to the public as part of the guided tour «Undiscovered - Hidden Stories in the Church of St. Martin».