The richly decorated façade and the brewing star show it: this is where the Salmen brewery brewed the beer Salmenbräu in the middle of the old town.
Brasserie zum Salmen with its own beer.
In 1799, the pig trader Franz Joseph Dietschy acquired the restaurant "zum Salmen" with the associated brewing rights. However, he did not only brew for his restaurant, but soon also for customers in Basel and Aarau.
After his son Alois died, his widow Catharina ran the business for 11 years. The business was then passed on to her son-in-law Carl Habich.
Beer continues to be drunk here.
After the Brasserie Salmen and the brewery, various restaurants and bistros continued to be guests in the historic house. Today it houses the Brötlibar Salmen, and the Rheinfelden town library is located in the rear part of the former brasserie.
The richly decorated façade is a real eye-catcher in Rheinfelden's old town. For this reason and because of its interesting beer history, it is also a popular sight on the town tours .
Good to know
In 1884, production was moved to what is now Salmenpark, west of the old town. In 1971 Salmenbräu was bought by Sibra Holding, which later became part of Cardinal.
Would you like to see the beautiful building up close with a coffee or glass of wine? The Brötlibar Salmen is the ideal place to do so.