Fassade des Restaurants Post in der Altstadt von Rheinfelden.

A walk through Rheinfelden with a view of the heights

  • |
  • Ausflüge

Out and about with city guide Kurt J. Rosenthaler - from pub sign to pub sign.

It's Friday shortly before midday and I have an appointment with the Rheinfeld city guide Kurt J. Rosenthaler. Our meeting point is at the "Adler" on Obertorplatz and we plan a very special "pub crawl" together.

The guide also calls this part of the old town the "Bermuda Triangle" because there used to be seven pubs here in a relatively small area: Adler, Löwen, Schlüssel, Hasenburg, Engel, Kranz and Warteck. Of all these, the "Löwen" is still in operation today.

In general, the number of restaurants has been greatly reduced in recent decades. Kurt J. Rosenthaler estimates that there used to be around twenty pubs in the Old Town, plus ten more a little further out.

Historic pub signs

On our "pub crawl", we concentrate on the pub signs. "Inn signs were made until Switzerland was founded in 1848," says the city guide. The purpose of a tavern sign was, of course, to show where a restaurant was located. It also identified the specific pub through the respective motif. Historically, it was also a sign of official permission to operate a tavern.

We first study the tavern sign at the "Adler". As Kurt J. Rosenthaler explains, the "Adler", the "Sonne" and the "Schiff" belonged to the "imperial" taverns. In other words, they were actually frequented by the emperor.

Das Wirtshausschild Adler zeigt einen Doppeladler mit den vier kaiserlichen Symbolen: Krone, Reichsapfel, Zepter, und Reichsschwert.
- The "Adler" is one of the imperial restaurants - in other words, the emperor visited the restaurant.

The inn sign of the "Adler" shows the double-headed eagle with the four imperial symbols in gold: crown, orb, sceptre and imperial sword.

The double-headed eagle was an important symbol at the time of the Habsburgs, under whose influence and rule Rheinfelden stood from 1330 to 1802.

The Rheinfelden coat of arms can also be seen on the inn sign. As reported in the Neue Fricktaler Zeitung, the sign was painstakingly restored by a church painter and restorer almost ten years ago because it was in a poor condition and was in danger of falling down.

Our tour continues to the Löwen, the only restaurant in this original "Bermuda Triangle" that is still open today.

Das goldige Wirtshausschild vom "Löwen", eine Gaststätte in der Altstadt.
- The inn sign of the Löwen restaurant, which still welcomes guests today.

This house also has a long and traditional history.

The property was apparently first mentioned in 1463 and the inn served as a meeting place for travelers, locals and merchants centuries ago.

After photographing the beautiful golden sign of the lion, we soon come to the "Schlüssel". Here, too, the corresponding gilded symbol hangs in front of the inn.

Das Wirtshausschild zum Schlüssel in der Altstadt.
- The gilded symbol of the "Schlüssel" inn hanging above the entrance.

We pass the golden post horn of today's Restaurant Pizzeria Post. On the façade of the building, we also notice the Austrian imperial eagle as well as the Rheinfeld coat of arms and the coat of arms of the former canton of Fricktal (lime leaf).

Die Fassade des Restaurants Post in der Marktgasse Rheinfeldens.
- The historic façade of today's Restaurant Pizzeria Post on Marktgasse.

Our walk takes us to the former "Brasserie zum Salmen", where we photograph a salmon in the brewing star in the pub sign. Kurt J. Rosenthaler explains:

"As a food fish, the fish is called salm and not salmon and used to be on every menu in Rheinfelden."

Die Fassade und das Wirtshausschild der Brasserie zum Salmen.
- The edible fish salm used to be on every menu.

The Haus zur Sonne

We walk a few meters further and come across an inn sign with a golden sun. The "Haus zur Sonne" is now home to the Fricktal Museum.

Das Wirtshausschild am Haus zur Sonne. Eine goldige Sonne.
- The "Haus zur Sonne" is now home to the Fricktal Museum.

We come to the "Feldschlösschen am Rhein".

This ornate inn sign decorated with gold leaf and its bracket were restored just a few months ago, as reported by the Neue Fricktaler Zeitung.

The façade of the building with the Feldschlösschen, the Rheinfeld coat of arms and the stucco façade are also impressive.

Das ehemalige Restaurant Feldschlösschen am Rhein mit der prachtvollen Fassade und dem historischen Wirtshausschild.
- The "Feldschlösschen am Rhein" pub sign decorated with gold leaf.

Back on the other side of Marktgasse, we discover an inn sign with a rococo-style bouquet of flowers. "A 'Maien', as we say in Rheinfeld," emphasizes Kurt J. Rosenthaler. It was five years ago when this inn sign for the former restaurant "Zum Maien", later known as "Blume" or "Blüemli", was restored.

The inn, which operated as a restaurant until 2000, was first mentioned in 1446.

Das Wirtshausschild des ehemaligen Restaurants «Blume»
- The pub sign with a bouquet of flowers - a "Maien", as the locals call it.

After discussing and photographing many inn signs in Marktgasse, we take a detour to Brodlaube. There we find the Rössli inn sign: a rider blowing a post horn on a white horse. In the 1850s, the Rössli restaurant was a stop for horse-drawn post wagons, which is probably how it got its name.

Das Wirtshausschild vor dem Restaurant Rössli.
- A rider blowing a post horn on a white horse. In the 1850s, the Rössli restaurant was a stop for horse-drawn mail coaches.

The last inn sign we see on our walk is that of the Engel restaurant: a non-three-dimensional angel made of gold-plated sheet metal. As Kurt J. Rosenthaler explains, from 1864 to 1896, this building was home to Rheinfelden's first poor people's spa and predecessor to the later Solbad sanatorium, founded by spa doctor Hermann Keller. "There were 15 bathtubs here for 60 guests," explains the city guide.

Das Wirtshausschild vor dem ehemaligen Gasthof zum Engel.
- The baths in the Gasthaus zum Engel were made available free of charge to poor people who had no money for a cure.

Originally, Kurt J. Rosenthaler assumed that our special tour of the pub signs would take around half an hour. In the end, we were on the road for over two hours. Two exciting hours in which I learned a lot about the town, the inns and their signs.

Perhaps this blog has inspired you, dear reader, to take a special look at the pub signs as you walk through the town?

Portrait Janine Tschopp
 
Janine Tschopp is a freelance journalist. She writes regularly for the Neue Fricktaler Zeitung, the cultural magazine "2x Rheinfelden" and the Rheinfelden Christmas magazine, among others.